Right after leaving the station, the line passes through a tunnel under the Leobersdorfer Bahn, another railway serving St. Pölten
The children can play on the Ötscherbär-Express, and learn interesting stories about bears. From 1 May to 26 October, you can taste regional delicacies from the Ötscherbär-Express’ buffet.
Pilgrimage to Mariazell
1. From Vienna to Mariazell (125 km): starting station Vienna (Rodaun Perchtoldsdorf)
2. From Lower Austria to Mariazell (255 km): starting station Waldviertler Freiwald,
3. From Burgenland to Mariazell (145 km): starting station Eisenstadt
4. From Salzburg to Mariazell (310 km): starting station Salzburg
5. From Upper Austria to Mariazell (175 km): starting station Pöstlingberg Linz
6. From Carinthia to Mariazell (350 km): starting station Klagenfurt
7. From Styria to Mariazell (225 km): starting station Eibiswald
Bürgeralpe mountain lift
One of the most popular places to visit is the Bürgeralpe. It was built in 1928. On the hilltop ist an adventure park: Holzknechtland, you can learn there about the woodcutters’ life.
You can also try water sports (Kristallsee and Waldsee) and you can enjoy live concerts and water shows.
The Mariazell Bürgeralpe is a popular destination for excursions and hiking with its theme park on the wood cutters who once dominated this area (“Erlebniswelt Holzknechtland”) and with the nearby Gemeindealpe in Mitterbach. Both peaks can be reached effortlessly on new cable cars.
Water lovers can plunge into crystal clear Lake Erlauf, the outdoor pool in Mitterbach and the indoor pool in Mariazell. Diving fans can explore the depths of the lake while canoeists or raft enthusiasts can enjoy the lively Salza River. And fishermen can cast away to their heart’s content on Lake Erlauf, the Erlauf River and reservoir, the Walster, the Hubertus Reservoir and the romantic Salza River.